When Should I Get My Hearing Tested?
Many people are still wondering when they should get a hearing test for themselves.
The answer is NOW! Why?
Hearing Loss Symptoms
Below, common symptoms of hearing loss and hearing impairment which you may have observed or experienced in your daily routine and surroundings:
- Frequently requesting people to repeat themselves
- Increasing the volume of TV/ Radio
- Speaking loudly
- Couldn't hear high pitched sounds
- Difficulties communicating in noisy background noise environments
Myths that we always hear is that hearing loss is age-related which only occur in the elderly. In fact, hearing loss or hearing problems can occur suddenly, but most of the time hearing does decline very gradually over a long period. Most people don't realize it until they have severe problems communicating.
Hearing is similar to the other senses and abilities that you are born with or acquire, very important but often neglected. Touch, taste, sight, smell, vestibular, proprioception, hearing, and many more provide input to your brain which it needs to develop, process, and maintain its functions and cognitive abilities.
Cognitive abilities refer to your brain's "mental capability that involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience.
If any of these senses weaken the reduced input will not just result in degradation of the specific sense but also any other information coming your way, grasping, retaining, or using that information is impeded.
Example of Daily Life Activities about Cognitive Abilities
Following are a few examples that usually happen in your daily life that can be related to a decline in cognitive abilities:
- Being more forgetful
- Forget important events such as appointments or social engagements
- Routine tasks such as paying bills, shopping, and meal preparation may become challenging
- Lose your train of thought or the thread of conversations, books, or movies
- Feel increasingly overwhelmed by making decisions, planning steps to accomplish a task, or understanding instructions
- Start to have trouble finding your way around familiar environments
- Becoming more impulsive or show increasingly poor judgment
Irritability and aggression
- Apathy (lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern)
- Poor motor coordination
If you frequently meet your optometrist for an eyesight test or your dentist twice a year to check your teeth, why not do the same for your hearing? Invest at least 1 hour of the 8,760 hours in a year for a complete diagnostic hearing test. By doing so, you can stop or prevent any serious health incidents from happening in the future.
A hearing assessment may be comprised of assessments from the outer ear, the inner ear, and even your cognitive functions. The tests are non-invasive and easy to be done. From the assessments, your audiologist or hearing care professional will provide you with excellent management recommendations for your hearing health.
The Hearing Solution Company is one of the established companies in Malaysia that can provide you with free hearing screening and a free consultation on hearing aid. Reach out to us now to book for your complete annual hearing check up!
Please click to check the nearest hearing centres from our store location in Malaysia.